Prince Harry and Meghan Meghan to ‘leave Netflix cameras at the door’ for Queen’s Platinum Jubilee

The cancellation by Netflix of an animated series by the Duchess of Sussex is proof “royal associations alone” don’t equal financial success, a commentator believes.

And if Prince Harry and Meghan were hoping to cash in on their royal connections at the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations, “any Netflix cameras following them will be left at the door”.

Meghan’s show Pearl has been “quietly dropped” the streaming gianteven though it was still in the development stage.

READ MORE: Security breach near Windsor by intruder pretending to be a priest

Meghan and Harry won’t be able to have a film crew following them if they return to the UK for the Platinum Jubilee, a commentator says. (UK Press via Getty Images)

It was meant to focus on the “heroic adventures” of a 12-year-old girl inspired by a variety of influential women from history.

The show, from Meghan and Prince Harry’s Archewell Productions, was part of a deal the couple signed with Netflix soon after leaving their places as senior working royals in March, 2020.

Royal commentator Robert Jobson says that deal remains in place but questioned whether Netflix would soon be looking for “more bang for their big bucks”.

“The couple may now face increasing pressure to come up with the goods, royal related goods too, to bring back Netflix’s subscribers,” Jobson told The Mirror.

Pearl was reportedly dropped after the streaming platform suffered a big fall in subscribers recently.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend the Athletics Competition during day two of the Invictus Games The Hague 2020 at Zuiderpark on April 17, 2022 in The Hague, Netherlands.  (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images for the Invictus Games Foundation)
Prince Harry and Meghan had a Netflix crew follow them at the Invictus Games. (Getty Images for the Invictus Ga)

It is among a number of other animations scrapped by the company.

READ MORE: Prince Harry joins new polo team with special link to his children

Jobson says Harry and Meghan might try to capitalize on their royal connections to come up with more content for Netflix to ensure their deal remains in place.

Queen Elizabeth has extended an invitation for the Sussexes to take part in her Platinum Jubilee celebrations in June, but so far Harry and Meghan have not finalized their travel plans.

It means Prince Harry and Meghan could join Her Majesty and other members of the royal family on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, though they will not be allowed to take a formal role in the festivities after stepping back as senior working royals.

“But any Netflix cameras following them will be left at the door,” Jobson says.

Prince Harry at the Invictus Games in April. (Getty Images for Invictus Games)

“The canceling of Meghan’s series proves one thing – their name and royal associations alone, doesn’t guarantee backing in the ruthless world of showbiz.

“Will Netflix demand more royal tittle tattle, from the prince and his wife? Are they prepared to sell-out even more?”

They were tailed by a film crew during the Invictus Games at The Hague last month for an upcoming Netflix series, Heart of Invictus.

Jobson says that after Prince Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah, and other comments they’ve made on podcasts, means that have “exhausted their bombshell royal revelations by now”.

The Duke of Sussex is planning to release a memoir later this year with his step-mother Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, expected to bear the brunt of criticism.

For a daily dose of 9Honey, subscribe to our newsletter here

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s royal relationship in pictures

Leave a Comment