A devastated mum has detailed her horror after her three-year-old daughter suffered severe food poisoning from what she claimed to be a Kinder Surprise chocolate egg.
Charlotte Elizabeth Wingfield, from the UK, said she noticed her little girl Brooklyn-Mai went from “fiery, adventurous and very active” to appearing “lifeless” and “dead behind the eyes”.
WATCH IN THE VIDEO ABOVE: Kinder Surprise urgently recalled from retailers
For more Recalls related news and videos check out Recalls >>
She assumed her toddler was “coming down with a tummy bug” when her temperature peaked at more than 39C – but her symptoms got progressively worse.
Three days later, the mum claimed she received confirmation her daughter had contracted salmonella after eating the chocolate egg, which has been at the center of an urgent recall.
Confectionary giant Ferrero recalled 12 of its chocolate products – including Kinder Surprise – due to potential salmonella contamination after at least 150 people, mostly kids, around the world fell sick.
A Ferrero spokesperson said the company was “very sorry to hear about Brooklyn-Mai” and its “sincere thoughts are with her and her family at the time”.
Last week, a number of products was pulled from shelves at major retailers – including Woolworths, Coles, Kmart and Big W – across Australia.
In a post on Facebook, Charlotte said she “knew something wasn’t right” with Brooklyn-Mai on Monday, April 4.
At first, she thought her daughter had caught a stomach bug after “slept for 21 out of the following 24 hours”.
“Her temperature spiked to over 39C and I struggled to disturb her,” the mum said.
“I spoke to the GP who ran through a list of what it could be alongside a hospital visit.
“I came away thinking she had a viral bug.”
The mum said watching her daughter’s condition deteriorate was “absolutely heartbreaking”.
“My god, she’s been poorly a couple of times but this has been something else,” she said.
“In 96 hours, she has been awake for all of about 12 to 14 of them and when she has been awake, it’s like she’s not been here at all.
“She’s been completely opposite of everything she usually is.”
On Friday, the mum said Brooklyn-Mai started feeling “aware of her surroundings again and has been able to play for the first time in days”.
However, she noticed her daughter “went funny on us again” on Monday.
“She was in an extreme amount of pain so we ended up back on the phone and then to the hospital,” the mum wrote.
Speaking out about the ordeal, Charlotte warned parents to be aware of the recalled Kinder products.
“Anyone with little ones who eat Kinder chocolate products… please throw them,” she said.
“Let’s get the word out to as many parents as possible.”
In Australia, the chocolates have been urgently recalled from Woolworths, Coles, Kmart, Big W and other major retailers.
Watchdog Food Standards Australia has warned consumers not to eat the recalled products as they may cause illness.
The recalled products are:
- Kinder Easter Basket 120g (6x20g): 19300698000619
- Kinder Mini Eggs Hazelnut: 100g: 19300698020242; 270g; 9300698503618; 750g: 9300698503618
- Kinder Surprise Maxi (Miraculous) 100g: 19300698018591
- Kinder Surprise Maxi (Natoons) 100g: 19300698016528
- Kinder Surprise Xmas Maxi (Disney Frozen 2021) 100g: 9300698502246
- Kinder Surprise Xmas Maxi (2021) 100g: 9300698501935
- Kinder Maxi Xmas Mix with Plush (2021) 133g: 9300698504004
- Kinder Xmas Happy Moments Ballotin (2021) 190g: 9300698503960
- Kinder Easter Basket 120g (6x20g) – best before dates from 7/10/22 up to and including 20/11/22
- Kinder Mini Eggs Hazelnut 100g – best before dates from 8/23/22 up to and including 9/13/22
- Kinder Surprise Maxi 100g – best before dates from 8/23/22 up to and including 9/13/22
- Kinder Surprise Maxi – Natoons 100g – best before dates from 8/23/22 up to and including 9/13/22
Food Standards Australia has advised that Kinder Surprise 20g single and three-pack eggs in white, blue and pink varieties sold in Australia are not affected by the recall.
It adds that all other Ferrero products – including other Kinder products – are not affected by this recall.
“Food products contaminated with Salmonella may cause illness if consumed,” Food Standards Australia said.
“Consumers should not eat this product and should return the products to the place of purchase for a full refund.
“Any consumers concerned about their health should seek medical advice.”
It’s understood that only Kinder products made in Belgium have been affected by this recall.
All Kinder products manufactured in Italy are fine for consumption.