According to an article published by the Moroccan newspaper “Le Desk”, which is known for its reliability in publishing Moroccan military deals, the Kingdom of Morocco will receive the Israeli-made Merkava main battle tanks.
The newspaper did not specify in its article the type of issuance that Morocco intends to contract for.
An export agreement for the Israeli “Merkava 2” and “Merkava 3” tanks was announced: part of the shipments will be delivered to Cyprus to replace 41 T-80U / UK tanks transferred to the Ukrainian Armed Forces, and another part to Morocco to replace the T-72B tanks, As reported by Dana Levy on her Twitter account.
According to Dana Levy, Israel’s condition for Cyprus and Morocco is not to provide, donate, re-export or sell these Israeli tanks to Ukraine. Since the tanks are Israeli, the change of ownership after donating them to Morocco and Cyprus cannot take place without Israeli permission. This ensured that the tanks would not head to the front in Ukraine.
The agreement of the export of #Israeli #Merkava-2/3 tanks has been announced: part of the deliveries will be made to #Cyprus to replace the 41 T-80U / UK tanks transferred to the Armed Forces of Ukraine, and part to #Morocco to compensate for the supply of T-72B.
None will be… pic.twitter.com/9x2jrCEO32
— Dana Levi דנה🇮🇱🇺🇸🇬🇧 (@Danale) June 19, 2023
The Merkava 2 is a main battle tank developed and produced in Israel. The Merkava 2 is the second generation of the Merkava tank series and is the successor to the Merkava 1 tank.
The Merkava 2 tank was developed in the 1980s and has been improved to enhance its capabilities and improve its performance in battle. Key features of the Merkava 2 tank include:
1. Enhanced Protection: The armor system has been reinforced to better protect the crew and platform against hostile strikes.
2. Effective weapon: It contains a 105 mm semi-automatic main gun, in addition to machine guns and anti-aircraft weapons.
3. Technology improvements: The Merkava 2 is equipped with retrofit systems that include surveillance, navigation and communications systems.
4. Multiple offensive and defensive capabilities: The tank is designed to be able to attack, defend and carry out various combat missions, including destroying hardened targets and supporting infantry forces.
The Merkava 2 tank has been successfully used in the Israeli armed forces and has taken part in several conflicts and military operations. However, it should be noted that Merkava 2 has been superseded by newer generations of the Merkava series, such as Merkava 3 and Merkava 4, which have additional improvements in performance and technology.
The Merkava 3 is a main battle tank developed and produced in Israel. Merkava 3 is designed to improve its capabilities and enhance its performance in combat when compared to previous generations of the Merkava series.
Merkava 3 includes many features and improvements over previous versions, including:
1. Enhanced Protection: The armor and protection system has been enhanced to provide greater protection for the crew and platform against hostile strikes, including protection against mines and chemical and biological attacks.
2. Advanced Defense Capabilities: The Merkava 3 is equipped with advanced defense systems such as active magnetic fields and electronic jamming systems to limit targeting by enemies.
3. Continuous improvement technology: Electronic systems, computers, night vision, remote sensing, navigation and guidance systems are all improved to enhance monitoring capabilities, control and accuracy.
4. Multiple offensive capabilities: The Merkava 3 has been developed to be able to perform a variety of combat missions, including the destruction of hardened targets and the provision of fire support and infantry support.
The Merkava 3 is part of the evolution of the Israeli Merkava series of main tanks, and has been used by the Israeli Armed Forces in several military operations. However, it should be noted that Merkava 3 was later superseded by newer generations of the Merkava series, such as Merkava 4, which have additional improvements in performance and technology.
Merkava 4 tank
The Merkava 4 tank is the latest generation of a series of main tanks designed and produced in Israel. Developed to enhance offensive, defensive and protective capabilities over previous generations of the Merkava series.
Merkava 4 features many features and technology improvements, including:
1. Enhanced Protection: The shield and protection system has been enhanced to provide the highest levels of protection for the crew and platform. Improvements include the installation of anti-mine armor and additional iron armor for side and rear protection.
2. Advanced technology: Merkava 4 is equipped with modern technological systems such as GPS navigation system, night vision equipment, remote sensing systems and advanced fire management system.
3. Multiple offensive capabilities: The Merkava 4’s primary and secondary weapons have been optimized to destroy tight targets and provide powerful fire support in battle.
4. Crew improvements: The working conditions and comfort of the crew inside the tank have been improved, including an improved air-conditioning system and more space for personnel.
The Merkava 4 is one of the most advanced and effective tanks in the world and is currently being used successfully in the Israeli Armed Forces. It is designed to be able to meet the challenges of modern combat and meet the needs of ground forces in a variety of environments and conditions.